Ireland Study and Employment Information

Entitlement to Work (Casual Employment)
  • Students who are attending a full-time course of one year’s duration are entitled to seek employment on a casual basis.
  • One semester students cannot seek employment.
  • Casual employment means you can work for 20 hours per week during term time or full-time (up to 40 hours) during normal college holidays. Please note term dates.


Third Level Graduate Scheme
  • This allows non-EU/EEA students who have graduated from Irish higher education institutions to remain in Ireland for 12 months to seek employment.
  • Students are eligible for the scheme if they have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree.
  • If you have graduated from university you can avail of this scheme.
  • Employers can hire graduates who are eligible to work for up to 40 hours per week.
  • You must have a valid Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) card which will be extended for 12 months.
  • You apply, after your results issue, to the GNIB office. You must:
    • Provide a letter from the University Student Desk indicating you have obtained your examination results and are eligible to graduate
    • Have a valid passport
    • Have your GNIB Card
    • Pay €300 by credit/debit card.
  • After 12 months, you may be eligible for the Green Card or Work Permit Scheme.

See further information on INIS and Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation websites.


PPS Number

All employees in Ireland have a PPS number for tax purposes (tax identification number). Therefore if you are looking for a job you must apply for a PPS number.

Please note: One Semester students are not permitted to work while in Ireland.

Non-EU/EEA Students: You can work 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holiday periods. To apply for a  PPS number, you will attend a PPS Number Allocation Centre and bring the following documents

  • Passport
  • Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Card
  • Proof of Address
  • Confirmation of Student Status (DIFC will provide Certificate of Attendance)

Please note that if you have “Stamp 2A” on your Garda National Immigration Card you will not be permitted to work during your stay in Ireland.